Talk to our consultants
Perth Metro
(08) 9241 1600
South West
(08) 9792 2388
Developments by Ventura Homes

Understanding Civil Works In Property Development

Civil Works in Property Development explained….

‘Civil Works’ is the term used to describe the improvements or additional works to the services of the title so it can be subdivided.

First-time developers may not be aware of the cost outlay required to develop multiple titles. I am going to cover the major cost items that need to be addressed.

Understanding the civil works process in Property Development in this blog post by Ventura Developments's Kerrian Devlin
Understanding the civil works process in Property Development in this blog post by Ventura Developments’s Kerrian Devlin

Demolition is the term used for removing an existing dwelling on a property so it is clear for construction. The cost to remove the structure will vary pending what the dwelling was constructed of. For example asbestos will increase the cost of demolition because it has to be handled and disposed of differently to the other materials. It is essential to get a quote for this service.


Raking the site is turning over the site after demolition, to ensure that all rubbish and root matter from old trees is completely removed. Often this service is completed by the company doing the demolition.

Head works is a contribution fee you pay to the Water Corporation for additional dwellings using the water and sewer service.  The Water Corporation give a credit for one dwelling per green title and charge an additional fee for each dwelling you add to the title. Water Corporation can give you an estimate of this cost by calling their land development section.

Sewer and water services require upgrading to accommodate the number of titles you are creating. The sewer and water services are treated differently between survey strata and build strata. Once the plumber has completed this work they will issue you and the Water Corporation with an Ascon. The Ascon denotes where the new services are buried to assist in connecting the services to the new building.

The Riser is the connection point for the dwelling sewer run to the Ministers sewer line. Pending the number of titles, the riser may have to be replaced with a riser with a larger diameter.

Underground power is required when you are building on a new title. If the property does not have underground power, Western Power will require you to pay for a new power dome to service the number of dwellings on the title.  Where there are three dwellings or above, an electrician who specialises in underground power is required to design your electrical service and a distribution board.

The cost of Civil Works can have a huge financial impact on the viability of your development, and it is imperative you discuss these items with an expert.

Ventura Developments and Multi Living Developments offer a free consultation service so you can see if developing is an option for you. Call (08) 9241 1600.