Talk to our consultants
Perth Metro
(08) 9241 1600
South West
(08) 9792 2388
Developments by Ventura Homes

What is the general works in property development?

Property Development General Works is the name to describe the additional items required to get the site ready for construction.

General Works items are not included in the base price of your property development dwelling, as the cost to complete these items varies from one site to the next.

If you are not familiar with the planning that goes into preparing a lot for building, you make under-estimate the cost for this component of the development.

Demolition is the term used for removing an existing dwelling on a property so it is clear for construction. The cost to remove the structure will vary pending what the materials the dwelling was constructed from. For example, asbestos will increase the cost of demolition because it has to be handled and disposed of differently to the other materials. It is essential to get a quote for this service.

Raking the site is turning over the site after demolition, to ensure that all rubbish and root matter from old trees has been completely removed. This service is completed by the company doing the demolition.

Head works contributions are a fee you pay to the Water Corporation for additional dwellings using the water and sewer service. Water Corporation give a credit for one dwelling per green title and charge an additional fee for each dwelling you add to the title.

Water Corporation can give you an estimate of this cost by calling their land development section.

Sewer and water services required upgrading to accommodate the number of titles you are creating. The sewer and water services are treated differently between survey strata and build strata. Once the plumber has completed this work, they will issue you and the Water Corporation with an Ascon (As Constructed) survey. The Ascon denotes where the new services are buried to assist the building in connecting the services to the new connection.

The Riser is the connection point for the dwelling sewer run to the main sewer line. Pending the number of titles the riser may have to be replaced with a riser with a larger diameter. If the block of land has previously had a house built on it, obtain the E-plans from the Water Corporation to help locate the existing riser.

Underground power is required when you are building on a new title. If the property does not have underground power, Western Power will require you to pay for a new power dome to service the number of dwellings on the title. Where there are three dwellings or above, an electrician who specialises in underground power is required to design your electrical service and a distribution board.

The cost of civil works can have a huge financial impact on the viability of your development, and it is imperative you discuss these items with an expert.

More from our video here.