Talk to our consultants
Perth Metro
(08) 9241 1600
South West
(08) 9792 2388
Developments by Ventura Homes

The Property Development Approval Process in WA : Everything You Need To Know

Understanding the property development approval process in Western Australia. 

There are several approvals required before construction can commence on your property development project.

Once the designs have been converted to working drawings, the file is sent to planning at the local shire; this process is not required for green title blocks over 350 sqm. The planning process usually takes several months and can vary greatly form one shire to the next. The planning department are looking to ensure that the proposed drawings are compliant with the local town planning policies and the R-Codes in relation to density, setbacks, and overshadowing issues.

The planning approval and stamped plans are sent to the builder and the Builder will either send an uncertified permit application to the shire for assessment for design compliance; or send the assessment to a private certifier for design compliance.  If the Builder is required to make any adjustments to the application, they do so, and send the application to the building department for the Building Permit.

Getting approved: How to navigate the property development approvals process.
Getting approved: How to navigate the property development approvals process.

To receive the Building Permit the following approvals or licenses are required if applicable to the job:

  • Demolition license – to get this license the property is required to be vacated and the Demolition company rodent bait the premises.
  • Neighbours approval for boundary walls.
  • Neighbours approval for dropped footings.
  • Neighbours approval for retaining walls.
  • Neighbours approval for removal of existing fencing.

In addition to the Building permit approvals from Water Corporation Western Power are required prior to the fob going to site.

Proof of ownership of the site is required before the builder can start construction. Either a copy of the settlement statement or title is sufficient.

Proving the project can be funded is the last approval required before the file can go to construction. Subject to how you’re funding the project, the Builder requires written confirmation from the lender that you have sufficient funds to cover the construction amount.

Ventura Developments and Multi Living Developments offer a free consultation service so you can see if developing is an option for you. Call (08) 9241 1600.