One of the perks of living in the world’s most isolated city is our unrivalled coastline; beachside living is not only possible, it’s easy! Whether you’re building in Golden Bay or Jindalee, we’ve created this simple guide to help you understand coastal construction requirements and maximise your enjoyment of the coastal lifestyle.
Designing Your Home
Want to know how to take advantage of a coastal block? We’ve got 25 years’ experience, so let us help you design the ultimate coastal home (and the lifestyle that comes with it).
- Keep that roof pitch low and those windows reasonably sized to protect against the surfside wind
- Build up! Maximise those coastal views by building a two-storey home
- Consider placing your living areas upstairs; you’ll have endless entertaining options with a seamless integration between your kitchen, meals, and balcony. Ocean views and canapes, anyone?
- Pick a subdued, coastal palette for your external paint colours. We’re loving Taubman’s June Fog (so much so we’ve featured it on our new coastal display home, The Noosa)
- Outdoor showers are the perfect addition to any beach lover’s home; check out the Milli Inox Overhead Rail Shower
- Hamptons-style designs are timeless; contact one of our New Homes Consultants for your very own slice of The Hamptons right here in Perth
Salt spray and heavy coastal winds can wreak havoc on your home, so the best way to protect it is to use corrosion-resistant materials during construction.
- Adjusted proportions of cement to lime to sand in your mortar, with plastic wire or stainless-steel ties to cavities
- Sarking between roof tiles and rafters (and additional nail/clip fixings for tiles)
- Galvanised steel or epoxy coating to metal surfaces (we love COLORBOND® Stainless Steel for coastal homes and COLORBOND® Ultra Steel for those within 200m)
- Doors and windows made of thicker glass to suit your wind rating
- Tie-down straps for metal roofs
- Look for ‘marine-grade’ or ‘marine-condition’ options for your products
What You Can Do
So you’ve built your beautiful beach home and covered all the construction requirements for coastal building, now what? How you maintain your home can keep your warranties valid and your home looking brand new!
- Regularly inspect your home for any signs of rust and treat immediately
- Wash your home’s exterior walls, windows, and doors every six months to remove built-up salt
- Regular cleaning and yearly recoating of any painted steel and timber